Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Bluff & The Catlins



Recently my host family took us to a place called Bluff. It is the most southern part of New Zealand, apart from Stewart Island. So the coast line you see behind us is the closest you can get to Antartica on the South Island. Pretty cool huh! You would think that it would be covered in snow being this far south!


The picture above was taken at the Catlins. This particular coast is referred to as the petrified forest. The rocks down below are petrified wood. It was pretty cool. We also visited a beach in the Catlins that occasionally has dolphins swimming in the bay. We lucked out cause that afternoon there were a dozen or so swimming in the waves. The water was freezing, but we all got in to swim with the dolphins. If you would just tread water in a group of two or three the dolphins would come quite close. It was amazing! I only had one get within about ten feet but there were a handful of people that had them swim right by them or underneath them. The coolest part was watching them surf in the waves and jump out the back side. You could see it really well from the beach.

1 comment:

Brian & Mindy said...

Holy Crap! That is awesome! That would be so fun to swim with dolphins. You know, people pay good money to do that--You got to do it for free, and in the wild and not some tank. I am amazed every time I get online to see what your next adventure is! I think your blog is the funnest to read because it is so exciting! I am so glad you are really experiencing New Zealand. I can't belive you are eating fish too! I knew you would come to your senses some day and grow up..I just didn't know it would take New Zealand to do it. I don't envy your little slimy eggs though. mmmm! Good to see some new posts! Love ya!